Scripting languages on my mind
It’s late 2014. Here’s all the scripting languages I’ve tried/thought of trying out this year for backend web development.
- I really like the Laravel framework
- Community and ecosystem is growing in a good way (PHP The right way, Packagist, HHVM)
- I have the most experience with this language and its ecosystem (MySQL, PHPMyAdmin, WordPress, nginx, Apache etc)
- Language has some some dumb function names that won’t go away for a long time
- xdebug needs a heavy IDE with debugging features to be easy to use (like Netbeans)
- node-inspector is great for debugging
- Does it work well with relational DBs?
- No leading web application platform – still have to assemble something like Laravel out of many small packages from NPM
- I like the syntax
- I hear good things about Django
- More complex to deploy then PHP or Node
- Because Ruby on Rails was cool in 2007 when I was buried in ActionScript 3.0 and I wonder what I missed out on
- Lots of overlap with other languages I know. Would I learn anything new other than syntax?
Everything here is OOP. Maybe I should try out something functional in 2015.